A group of friends, a great book, and a free-flowing discussion are all you need for a fun book club. Now your library can help you experience this with our new Book Club in a Bag program. We’ll supply you with the books and questions for 10 members and even give you ideas on how to start a great discussion group. All you need to supply are the friends and a place to meet.
We’ve chosen our favorite titles from previous library book discussions to create the bags. One person from your group will check out the bag which contains 10 copies of the book and discussion questions. The bag is checked out for six weeks and the person checking it out is responsible for all the contents. Stop by the reference desk with any questions or to obtain a Book Club in a Bag for your group.
- Requests for Book Club in a Bag kits are made at the adult reference desk.
- Each bag contains 10 copies of a title and a sheet of discussion questions (when not in the back of the book).
- The person picking up the bag will check it out on his or her card and be responsible for the bag and all of the books. (The sheet of questions does not need to be returned.)
- The Book Club in a Bag kits are checked out for 6 weeks and may not be renewed. You may want to hold your book discussion well before the 6 weeks is up so that you have time to gather the books from all who received copies.
- Up to two bags may be checked out at one time. (This is to accommodate groups which would like to distribute the next book and collect the last book at the same meeting. You would pick up the newest bag close to your meeting date.)
- Before returning the bag, check to make sure all the books are inside as the bag must be returned with all 10 books. (The bag is checked out as one item and therefore cannot be returned with missing books unless you pay for them.) Overdue fines are $1.00 per day. The replacement cost of individual books will vary according to title but will be approximately $12.00/book. A lost nylon bag will cost $5.00. The replacement cost of an entire bag and its contents is $125.00.
- Kits are not available for inter-library loan.
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway*
- The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to his White Mother by James McBride
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
- The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez*
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- Little Bee by Chris Cleave
- Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear
- Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
- Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
- Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
- Room by Emma Donoghue
- Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
- Wait till Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin
*Posters with graphic illustrations relating to the book are available on request.
- The Book Club Companion: a Comprehensive Guide to the Reading Group Experience
by Diana Loevy (374.22 Loevy)
- Good Books Lately: the One-Stop Resource for Book Groups and Other Greedy Readers
by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens (374.22 Moore)
- Read It and Eat: a Month-by-Month Guide to Scintillating Book Club Selections and Mouthwatering Menus
by Sarah Gardner (028.9 Gardner)
- A Year of Reading: a Month-by-Month Guide to Classics and Crowd-Pleasers for You or Your Book Group
by Elisabeth Ellington & Jane Freimiller (011.73 Ellington)